Do you have a passion for helping older adults? Do you want to make a difference in the lives of long-term care residents? If so, VOYCE might be the perfect fit for you. At VOYCE, we are always looking for volunteers to help us on our mission to educate and empower individuals across the continuum of long-term care.
Volunteer Opportunities at VOYCE
Right now, we have several volunteer opportunities with flexible hours based on your schedule. We provide training, continuing education, and everything you need to be a voice for residents!
Advocates for Residents
As an ombudsman volunteer, you will have the opportunity to advocate for one of the most vulnerable populations by:
- Visiting individuals who live in a long-term care community at a location convenient for you each week
- Talking to residents and personally getting to know them on an individual basis
- Giving residents an opportunity to voice concerns about the quality of their lives
- Investigating and advocating for resolutions to resident needs by working with staff caregivers
- Following up with residents to make sure they continue to receive care that meets their specific needs
- Receive comprehensive training and support from our staff
Visit Isolated Residents
As a Friendly VOYCE volunteer, you will have the opportunity to meaningfully engage with residents who are lonely and isolated by:
- Being matched with up to two residents who have been identified as needing social support
- Visiting these residents during a time and a day that works best for you
- Meaningfully visit and engage with residents
- Leading the residents in fun and beneficial activities provided by VOYCE
- Receiving comprehensive training and ongoing support from VOYCE staff
- Being provided with free continuing education opportunities provided by VOYCE
At VOYCE, we are always looking for individuals who are passionate about serving older adults and residents in long-term care. Reach out to our Volunteer Coordinator for more information about what opportunities are available at VOYCE.
VOYCE seeks interns and practicum students to work with us in the fall, spring, and summer semesters.
To find out more about volunteering with VOYCE, fill out the form below or reach out to Libby Sykes, Special Projects Coordinator at VOYCE.
Libby Sykes, MSWFriendly VOYCE and Volunteer Managerlsykes@voycestl.org314-556-3704
June Brown has been an ombudsman volunteer with VOYCE since 2003. During her time at Northview Village, she has spoken with dietitians, nurses, social workers, and more in her tireless efforts to improve the quality of life of the residents.
“On this earth it doesn’t matter what job we do, or how much money we make. We can’t take it with us. What we can take with us are the thoughts, and the memories of things we’ve done to help someone, and how we made someone else feel better.”June Brown
Read more about her experience in June’s story: If You See Something, Say Something on One Legacy.