Regional Ombudsman Coordinator for VOYCE
VOYCE provides the St. Louis and Northeast Missouri regions with long-term care ombudsman services, mental wellness support for people living in skilled nursing communities, and information and referral services for people who are seeking long-term care solutions.
The Regional Ombudsman Coordinator is responsible for promoting and protecting the rights, dignity, safety, and quality of life of residents in long-term care facilities. They will assist residents to address and resolve issues to their satisfaction and act as a mediator to residents, families, and facility staff in order to help resolve resident complaints. ROCs serve as a communication link between residents and staff, becoming a relied-upon source of information and assistance, benefiting everyone involved.
This position is a new position and will work closely with the current ROC team of 4 and the Program Director. ROCs report to the Program Director.
- Identify, investigate and resolve complaints.
- Provide services to protect residents and their interests.
- Provide technical support to resident and family councils.
- Ensures all long-term care facilities in the ombudsman’s coverage area are visited no less than 2 times during a reporting year, and preferably 4 times a reporting year if the facility does not have a volunteer visiting on a more regular basis.
- Provide information and assistance regarding long-term care issues and the needs and rights of residents.
- Ensure the proper management of files, resident records, and other information of the Program including information maintained by the Office pertaining to the cases and activities of the Program.
- Enter case documentation into the Missouri Ombudsman Electronic Reporting System in a timely manner (within 30 days of case closure).
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Highly organized with ability to set up and maintain processes and ensure completion of delegated tasks.
- Provide highly detailed and accurate reports.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including comfort on the phone and presentation skills.
- Negotiation and problem resolution skills.
- Personal life experience with long-term care or knowledge of the industry landscape.
- Experience as a volunteer for a nonprofit organization.
- Understanding of institutional racism’s effect on health outcomes.
- Bachelors Degree in Social Work, Gerontology, Human Services, Nursing, Psychology, Long-Term Care, Public Administration or Health or a closely related field, masters degree preferred.
- Experience in a nonprofit setting a plus
- Strong computer skills, proficient in Microsoft Office, Google for Nonprofits, and database software.
- Reliable transportation throughout the St. Louis region.
- Pass a background check including the Family Care Safety Registry and St. Louis City and County checks.
- Starting salary of $19.50/hour.
- Employees accrue up to 10 days per year in PTO in their first year of employment, prorated for part-time employees.
- VOYCE pays 75% of health, dental, and vision, 100% of short-term disability insurance, and matches up to 3% of annual salary in a Simple IRA.
- Hourly, non-exempt position with an average of 30 hours per week expected. Hours are typically Monday-Friday with rare weekends or evenings required for meetings or events.
Please note that in order to be considered for this position, a candidate must not have any resolved conflicts of interest including having not worked in long-term care or had a loved one in long-term care for a period of at least one year.
VOYCE is located in South St. Louis County. While the team expects to continue to work from home through June, this position will be office based after normal operations resume. This position will require in person visits to long-term care settings with appropriate PPE provided by the organization as soon as these settings reopen.
Candidates from diverse backgrounds, including people of color, people with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQ+ community, and others are encouraged to apply. VOYCE is an equal opportunity employer.
Letter of interest/cover letter and resume required for application. Please email to firstname.lastname@example.org.